one of my mental lists through my growing up years was that of the 'best days of my whole life'. some were very specific events--one particular Palm Sunday in which i felt very grown up, my eighth and ninth birthdays, the day my brother and i filled up a top hat with snow and made beautiful 'snow cake', some family vacations, a 24 hour period i spent exclusively painting as a freshman in college, a very hilarious fancy dinner in which my sister katie and i accidentally got drunk... there are too many to count.
today was one of the best days of my life, despite being entirely solitary and without much to speficically define it. i suppose i will just list everything, in keeping with the theme!
- woke up (without an alarm) to good weather
- spent a lovely almost-hour talking to my littlest sister on the phone (SHE called ME! so nice!)
- cinnamon toast and coffee
- did the underpainting for something new i am working on (mother's day!)
- showered, got dressed in the new ($20) Audrey Hepburn pants i bought yesterday (sorry, it's a cellphone picture)
- lunch on my sun deck, pretending i was on an enormous cruise ship (delicious egg salad and iced tea!)
- read C.S. Lewis' The Four Loves: Friendship